Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 206 of 230

206 Lee College TRiO Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) Located in the Sears wing of San Jacinto Mall, the EOC pro- vides eligible students with services including one-on- one counseling sessions, career and academic advising, assis- tance with college admission and financial aid applications, assistance with course selection, childcare information, aca- demic counseling, tutoring referrals, and GED information. In order to receive these services, an adult must be a U.S. citi- zen or permanent resident, age 19 or older, and plan to at- tend college. The EOC is open Monday - Thursday, 8 am to 7 pm and Fri- day, 8 am to 12:30 pm. Counseling sessions are available by appointment and Walk-Ins are welcome. All services are free. For additional information, call 832.556.4506 or visit Student Career and Employment Services Student employment services are offered to current and for- mer students. See page 42 for more information. Performing Arts Center Constructed over a two-year period, the $2 million, 57,900- square-foot Lee College Performing Arts Center continues to provide for the cultural enrichment of the local community. The only facility of its kind in East Harris County, the Perform- ing Arts Center is equipped with industry standard theatrical light and sound systems, drapery systems, an orchestra shell, and other state-of-the-art equipment. The building features the Lisa H. Urban Grand Foyer, the Melva Johnson Black Box Theatre, a 700-seat main theatre with proscenium stage, and various practice and performance halls. About Lee College In 1931, the Board of Trustees of the Goose Creek Independ- ent School District identified the need to establish a junior college dedicated to providing educational opportunities to students who could otherwise not afford it. In 1934, they es- tablished the Lee Junior College of Goose Creek, Texas. One hundred seventy-seven students enrolled in the inau- gural session. By 1935, enrollment increased 33 percent, bringing the total student population to 236. That same year, the college held its first commencement exercises. Four women, Juanita Barrington (Mrs. David Holm), Byrtis Avey (Mrs. Elmer Brinkley), La Del Payne (Mrs. Barney Hillard), and Hudnall Spence (Mrs. Robert Southwick) received diplomas. Recognizing the need for both, a strong academic curricu- lum and a comprehensive technical/vocational curriculum, the founders of the college established the Robert E. Lee Vo- cational Institute, Vocational Division of Lee Junior College. No college credit was given for work in the institute until 1941 and it did not become an integral part of the college until 1945, following a two-year period when no technical/vocational courses were offered. By the mid-1940s, the administration and faculty of the col- lege had become increasingly aware that the college needed its own governing board. In 1945, Walter Rundell, one of the original faculty members, became Dean of Lee College. Dean Rundell became the guiding force behind major developments for the two decades which followed. In 1948, the college's name was changed to Lee College. That same year, Lee College gained accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The Associa- tion urged Lee College to develop a campus facility separate from the high school. A successful bond election in 1949 led to the completion of the first two buildings – the Administration Building and the Gymnasium. The college moved to the new campus in 1951. Following the move to a separate campus, the growth of the college exceeded the expectations of its leaders and plans for additional buildings were accelerated. A Liberal Arts Building (now John Britt Hall) was added in 1958. By 1961, the campus had doubled in size. The Library was completed and the Gymnasium expanded in 1962. Construction of Moler Hall, Technical Vocational Building One, and Bonner Hall soon followed. Under the leadership of Dean Rundell, Lee College success- fully separated from the local public school district in 1965. On August 18, 1965, Lee College's first Board of Regents, ap- pointed by the public school board, and assumed gover- nance of the College. In 1966, the College, under the leadership of Dean Rundell and George Beto and in cooperation with the Texas Depart- ment of Corrections, began a program of courses in the state's prison system. This program has grown from an initial enrollment of 182 students to a current enrollment of more than 1,000 students. In 1966, Dr. Richard Strahan became the first full-time presi- dent of Lee College. Since the separation from the local pub- lic school district, the college has had nine presidents:

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of Catalog - 2014-2015-Catalog