2013-2014 Catalog

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 33 of 237

Aid Suspension are ineligible to receive state or federal financial aid. They may, however, use the financial aid appeal process to seek restoration of their financial aid eligibility. documentation required to establish residency is discussed under Documents Needed for Admission in Chapter 1 of this catalog. For tuition purposes, the student will be classified as follows: Financial Aid Appeals Out-of-District Residency Students on Financial Aid Suspension may appeal for reinstatement of their financial aid eligibility. This process is meant for students whose grades and/or coursework suffered because of extenuating circumstances such as illness, injury, or death in the family and students who have exceeded the maximum number of credits allowed for their programs because they changed majors and/or pursued multiple degrees. The appeal process, including the number of appeals allowed, is included in the SAP Policy. Financial Aid: probation Students whose financial aid appeals have been granted are placed on Probation. Students in this status are eligible to receive state and federal financial aid provided that they comply with the restrictions outlined in the SAP Policy. Students are removed from this status when their overall course completion rates and GPAs meet the SAP standards. Repayment of Federal Funds Students receiving federal financial assistance (Pell Grants, Direct Loans, Academic Competitiveness, and/or SEOG) who withdraw from classes prior to the completion of 60 percent of the semester or term, are required to repay a portion of the funds that they received that semester or term. Repayment of federal funds is determined on a prorated basis according to the number of days elapsed between the beginning of the semester and the date of withdrawal. Students who earn all F's in a term or are graded as "W's at the end of the term may be considered unofficial withdrawals. If a student in this situation cannot show academic activity in the last 40 percent of the semester on at least one class, 50 percent of federal funds may need to be returned to the Department of Education. Tuition and Fees Tuition and other charges, along with related regulations and requirements are subject to change as necessitated by college and/or state legislative action. Students should refer to the class schedule to determine tuition and fees for the current semester. Residency Requirements The legal residence of students enrolling at Lee College will be determined by the Admissions and Records Office. The 32 Students classified as Texas residents are entitled to out-ofdistrict tuition rates unless they live in the College's tax district. In-District Residency In-state residents of the Lee College tax district qualify for in-district tuition. Geographically, the tax district is found in those portions of Harris and Chambers counties served by the Goose Creek Consolidated Independent School District. Ad Valorum – For Tax District property Owners Residing Elsewhere in Texas Texas residents who own property in the tax district, but live in Texas outside the district, can qualify for reduction of tuition in the in-district rates. The property owner will be classified as out-of-district but upon receipt of a paid tax bill for the prior year, tuition will be recalculated at the in-district rate. Dependents of property owners may also qualify upon receipt of income tax records showing dependent status in addition to paid tax bill. Status must be renewed annually. Inquire at the Business Office for more details. non-Resident Non-resident students are citizens, national, or permanent residents of the United States, or citizens of another country, who have not met the state requirements for establishing residency for tuition purposes. International students on F visas are also non-residents. Texas Tuition Residency for undocumented Students Texas law makes Texas residency available to undocumented students for college tuition purposes. In order to quality, students must meet the following criteria: a. Must have graduated from a Texas high school or have received a GED in Texas. b. Must have lived in Texas a minimum of three years immediately prior to receipt of the above credential. Also, persons who have approved applications for permanent residency on file with the authorized federal immigration office may be able to claim Texas residency. Students who feel that they meet these requirements are encouraged to see the registrar and complete the necessary affidavit. Students who are entitled to Texas residency under

Articles in this issue

view archives of Catalog - 2013-2014 Catalog